Sunday, July 8, 2012

Flight from Three Forks to Rome using my new Drift Stealth HD Camera

I have finally done enough testing with the new camera to think that I know what I am doing. So a flight that I did some years ago with a highly inferior camera needed redoing. The forecast for weather was a "Red Flag" warning, but it wasn't due to hit until later in the day. I had a bit of a headwind going to Three Forks, but I would more than make up for it on the way back.

I climbed Dart up to 5500 feet to get enough height to get over the hump of Big Grassy Mtn. (Lump really) and got into a layer of smoke from fires in Nev and Idaho, but it didn't matter as I was flying right into the sun and wasn't filming anyway. The nice part about this camera is that it has a remote control that so far has worked flawlessly.  Once I was able to turn the corner at Three Forks, the smoke cleared and the view improved tremendously.

I flew the entire canyon about 600 feet above the rims right in the middle of the Canyon. The headwind was now a tailwind that was giving me a 24 mile per hour boost. I copied all the video at twice the normal speed to allow me to show you the upper canyon in its entirety. The speed is equivalent to 170 MPH and it was a bit bumpy, so the plane rocks and rolls a bit.

http://vimeo.com/45401243 

Is the first part of the trip. As before the password is (owyheeflyer ) all small case. These are in HD, so you may need to start it with the "arrow" then pause it so that it can get a head start on loading. Other wise you will have a jerky flight. If for some reason your computer is not up to HD you can click on the highlighted HD and change the format to a slower but more degraded version of the video.

http://vimeo.com/45406892

This is part two of the trip. Since the Canyon runs for about 39 miles, I took the liberty of increasing the speed to 2x so I am in effect flying at 170 MPH since I had a tail wind of up to 24 MPH. It of course made it a bit bumpy as well.

http://vimeo.com/45410900

Here is part three.

http://vimeo.com/45418602

And Part four the conclusion of the flight. I flew for one hour and 18 minutes for a total of 88 miles, and used 5 gallons of fuel, with a top speed of 86 miles Per hour. Normal cruise speed is 67 MPH.

The storm that was promised hit about an hour after I landed. There is now a sizable fire about 15 miles south of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment