Friday, September 28, 2012

Puddy catches her first one, and a typical cluster %$#@^&*%



Jessie

Jessie this year has been suspiciously nice. So far things have gone so well that I am very wary. I am also trying hard to ride this streak for as long as I can. Yesterday she was sore from all the flying that she did the day before, and contented herself with just flying around at about 100 feet and coming to the lure just like a trained bird. Today she felt better and played on the wind, sometimes so far away that she kept winking out. She finally tired and came back flying straight at me wanting the lure. She was content to grab it the first time and sit there to regain her breath.

I also sat there waiting for her to eat. When she finished I offered her the rest of her meal on the fist.

A great exercise day for her. She is building strength fast, probably too fast. Duck season better hurry up.

Yogi and Puddy

Tammy was fulfilling a promise to Grace by taking her to a Concert of her choice. (Birthday present) John H was off visiting a friend in Elko Nev. so that left Karen and myself to hunt the Harris'. The only problem with that is Karen's Stamina, we were going to have to hunt around the house.

I have two groups of Chickens. One is captive, the other has the run of the place, but generally go in of the evening. I had intended to go to one of the lumps of a hill about 1/2 mile away to get out of temptations way. Karen started pooping out, so we turned back towards the house. The HH's had a couple of flight and some close chases in spite of the rather stiff wind blowing out of the north. We went down by the creek quite a ways from the house, and I jumped a Bunny. Puddy was with me and she burned it down in nothing flat. Her first kill of the year!

I gave her a front leg off it, and we went on with Yogi trying to find something for her to chase. Puddy finally finished her leg and joined us. As we walked down by the creek, working our way back home, we had only one chase down there. As we got closer to the house, I asked Karen how she was doing. As she was telling me that she was about done, Yogi took off after a Jack running up to the house. She soon stalled out and sat on a fence post. Before Karen and I could make any plans, the air was filled with Chicken squawks, soon to be followed by a stream of invective from me. I did my best sprint up the hill, and arrived in the yard to find a Hawk sandwich. She had both Hawks on her. I was a bit too busy to take pictures, so you are just going to have to use your imagination.

I tossed a Jack front leg for Yogi, which she gladly accepted, then another for Puddy, which also worked after a bit. The chicken was stuffed between my legs and under my butt, to keep her from getting caught again. In the accomplishment of that particular feat, sweet little Puddy grabbed my bare right hand, causing the air to suffer once more with feeling. Karen was finally able to hold and feed Yogi and disentangle me at the same time. All the while there was a Jack Rabbit frozen in place with very big, big eyes, watching the whole incident. He may swear off grass forever.

 As for the Chicken, she survived. Might be a bit cooler tonight however. She is also one of my Mothers that I fostered three chicks with. Just glad that Yogi caught her rather than one of the chicks.  Other than that it has been pretty boring around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment