Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The last Jack standing?

 Today was Puddy's first day in the field. While she is a good hunter and well behaved as far as response, she gives the appearance of a slow learner. I got her near her normal flying weight, and decided that she was going out, ready or not.

I did not need to worry, she knew immediately what was going on, and willingly jumped in the giant hood as soon as she was given the chance.

We decided to try one of the ranches that was complaining about rabbit predation on his hay stacks last winter. Apparently his problem is now solved, since we found no sign of any rabbits in the hills surrounding his ranch. After a bit of driving and a lot of walking with no sign of any Rabbit populations at all.

I decided to go to the Pillars of Rome where the possibility of game was a bit higher. I generally do not like to hunt there because of all the Greasewood there. It is pretty nasty stuff, and a thorn in a wing joint is not high on my list of things that I like.

We got out and began walking,  Puddy acted as though we had been hunting all year long, and jumped up on the Tee perch, and stayed with us, intently looking for something to chase. Finely after a rather long trudge through the Greasewood, we veered over to the Sage to see if something was living there.

Karen bumped a Jack that lost his nerve after she had passed him. His break for freedom was cut short by a very serious hawk named Yogi. Puddy had also taken off when she flew, and went in the Sage as well. Soon the sound that we generally hold our breath for, when the hawks go into cover, came floating back on the wind.
As usual the first hawk on the scene grabs the first chunk of Rabbit that is available- the butt. The rabbit will then dive into a Sage Bush, trying to scrape off the demon that has sunk 8 talons into its butt. Things then get much worse because the other bird then grabs it by the head and all is lost at that point. There is no further chance of escape.

I had to pull the limbs of this Sage from between Puddy and the Jack. You can see where the danger lies if this had been Greasewood. They cannot slow, nor brake their headlong flight when chasing Jacks, if they do, then they miss. Nothing but an all out effort will get them their food.

As soon as I took control of the rabbit, Yogi began looking for her meal. That didn't stop her from trying to pluck it, but she was waiting for the sound of cellophane as well. In order to not dry out the meat that I carry for their reward, I either wrap it in cellophane or put it in plastic bags. I was trying to open the package with one hand, while holding onto the rabbit. Yogi was about to come looking for her reward, when I finally gave it to Karen to get her some food. She immediately abandoned the Jack to Puddy and I, grabbing he chunk of meat and moving off a bit to eat it. Puddy also let go when Karen tossed her chunk in front of her. I cut off a hind leg each to finish their meal.

I was quite pleased to find a Jack for them to chase, and grateful for his sacrifice. If I can't find a decent population of Rabbits, I will most likely quit hunting rabbits for the year.

I will likely give Puddy to a falconer in the Western part of the State because of the scarcity of game here. I am toying with the idea of sending Yogi to a breeding project, but I have not managed to reconcile myself to that as yet.

1 comment:

  1. This was very nicely put together, thank you for the report, will the club continue, everyone was so kind to us, Jacob was so inspired he is wanting
    a bird now more then ever.
    Thank you all for your encouragement and love of your sport shared with us.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete