Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Yogi's turn

Today was Yogi's turn, and she had gained a bit of weight since our first time out. I guess that I am going to have to shoot a Rabbit or two to get us started. Apparently Coyote is a bit too rich for a bird with her metabolism.

I released  my frustration at not being able to hawk last year by Coyote hunting. Of course there is more to a Coyote than his fur coat. For instance one can glean 31 Harris Hawk  (molting) meals from an adult Coyote. It took a bit for Yogi to learn to like Coyote, but when you do not have a choice in the menu, one adapts. I am guessing that it is a bit strong, it does sure have plenty of calories in the meat. When I am only flying every other day, I like to reward my bird with a full meal. Apparently 4 oz of Coyote is a bit too much.

Yogi weighed 1150 grams this morning , up by 25 grams from Sunday. Since the object of today's exercise is to get some muscle on her, she doesn't have to be razor sharp, only fly a bit. She first checked out the Chicken pens to see if there was any easy stuff available. I finally had to drag out the lure to get her to join us.


She did make a couple of passes at Jacks that jumped in front of us, but she is nowhere ready to catch anything yet. She also made a pass at a Coot on the Creek, but she decided not to go swimming for him.

While we did not accomplish anything other than to reestablish the fact that we will now be hunting and reconnecting with us in that regard. We now need to get a lot of muscle built up on her so that she can catch one of these fleet footed critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment