Friday, November 13, 2015

Retribution!







After discovering the carnage to my Pigeons, I began setting traps. The one above is the only one that I set that is lethal, instantly. Therefore I set it so that the only thing that could be hurt was a varmint that intended to kill pigeons. I set some "Dog Proof traps where the Coons could access the area.




Having Dogs and Cats I have to of course be careful about how I trap and where. There is an area behind my captive Chicken house where Racoons have traditionally entered the area. There is a rock wall with a gap that they have used. That one has a Steel trap, but a Dog couldn't use it. The Dog Proof traps are basically a steel pipe that can only be triggered by grasping toes stuck in there. Racoons use their front paws a lot like hands, and these traps take advantage of that. I sometimes catch Ground Squirrels that are inside trying to get the bait with them.



I had just about given up hope of catching the Coon. It had been so long and there was no real reason for him to go into the Pigeon House. Nothing there but a few bones. Not even the surviving Pigeons were going in there.

These traps are very effective and scary as well. They are so strong I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few bones broken in this critter. As you can see the trap jumps forward when triggered. dIt is a major chore to set the darn thing and worthy of a bit of sweating, but there is no messing around or suffering with this type of trap. There is no way to remove it without a special tool to do so. That is why I am so careful about where I set it.

I am a happy camper, revenge is always sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment