Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day 51

First, Thank you for letting me know that rather than being pestered with an unwanted Blog, you are actually interested in what it is about. It takes a bit of an effort to produce this thing, and I refuse to monetize it. I enjoy doing it however and I would prefer that the people who get it, do as well.

Today's video concerns Lee's behavior, and training. Or at least the attempts to do so. One peculiar feature that I have not seen before with any hawk is his desire to be with us. When he gets bored and he starts vocalizing. If I go up to him he runs up to the fist talking and biting, then he gets on the fist and calms right down, and fluffs out his chin whiskers and is happy.

What I need to do is to get him made to the lure. It is funny, but he will not come to a half quail thrown on the ground, but he will fly to my ungarnished gloved fist.

He flew around most of the day yesterday and in the evening, when I would like to bring him in is when he gets his third feeding of the day. He doesn't require much food, ( a handicap ) but he still wants to eat at least a little bit. I tried to call him down to the ground for a quail half on a line, and he would not do so. I then stuck my fist up and he flew to it. I then tossed the half on the ground. He did go to that, and when he finished, came to the fist to be carried inside. It was a good start.

We had to go to town today, so he spent most of the day on his perch in front of the window. When we got home, I took him outside for the rest of the evening. At his normal feeding time he came back to the fifth wheel. I tried again to call him to the lure, but he still wouldn't come down. I then offered him my fist. He flew towards, but didn't feel good enough to land, but he did land on the ground. I tossed the quail on the ground, and he fed from it. He then came to the fist and I brought him in for the night.

It will take a bit, but his response is right on the correct timeline. It would help if he got enough exercise to give him an appetite. Prairie Falcons are designed to survive in very adverse conditions. The Desert is just such a place. It is normal for a falcon fed on a good meal of Duck to take as much as a week to need to hunt again. I am familiar with that since I have the same metabolism.

https://vimeo.com/171698549  Password - owyheeflyer

No comments:

Post a Comment