Monday, September 19, 2016

Getting better!

There are no pictures today because I didn't take a camera. I attempted to get a video with my camera on my shoulder. There were mixed results. The first is the gait that our eyes and brain compensates for is quite remarkable. Unfortunately my brain when viewing the results back here on my computer just tells me that I walk a bit like a Duck. I could have rationalized that, but I left the camera on the same setting that works so well for the plane. That is when the plane is moving it records. When I stop to watch the Hawk chase or come back to me, I am standing still and the camera isn't recording and we go back to the Duck walk after the hawk returns. I will do better next time.

Hope was down to 924 and she was hungry! She tried several times before we got into the rabbit field to go somewhere that I could call her. Once we got into the field however, she was all business. I was pretty sure that she would be doing some chasing this time, and she didn't disappoint me. She made two chases on Jacks before I winged another Jack. She has yet to fly off so that I can recall her. She is working over every bush that she can, to see if one is hiding there.

The wind was blowing pretty hard, and I wanted to give her at least one more. I saw a Jack lying in its form about 30 yards away, so I popped it with my pistol. A bit harder than I really wanted to. I turned away as soon as I hit it, but she had seen it jump and took off looking for it. She landed where she thought it was and then took off again, slamming into the Jack. I had thought that it was dead, but it was still kicking when I got there. I of course waited until it was dead, and then gave her a front leg, picking her up off of it.

The next time I will give her all the opportunity she wants to catch her own food. If she appears to be loosing confidence, I will pop another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment