Monday, October 31, 2016

Number 13

The forecast for today was high winds that would not slack off until late evening. My opinion concerning Harris Hawks is that wind is not their friend, so I decided to leave the Chickens in their house and do a short hunt here and perhaps feed her enough to maintain her weight, and try seriously when the wind dies down tomorrow. There are enough Jacks living around here that would give her a chance if she wanted to take it. So rather than drive 20 miles to a site for Jacks, I figured a bit of exercise and then a light meal.

The wind was blowing about 14 MPH when we started, and we did get a few slips that ended up of course with the Jack running into the wind. Doesn't bother the Jacks, but slows Hope down considerably. She had some close calls, but the Jacks are still managing to dodge enough to leave her on the ground or stuck in a bush.

I made a big circle around the place ending up down by the rock outcropping by the creek. I stood on the top for a while hoping that one of the Jacks that lives down there would break cover. Nothing, so I intended to cross the creek and try some of the Sage further down the creek. We hadn't gotten in the bottom more than 15 feet and a Bunny squirted out. The cover down there is pretty deep and Hope didn't have much of a chance. The little Bunny was running under bushes while Hope was stuck on top. I think we busted four of them in a space no bigger than 30 feet. I was watching where they were hiding and intending to flush them out for her again. Another that I had not seen busted to the right of us and I heard one short squeal.




I was quite happy to quit with just one Bunny in the bag.

1 comment:

  1. Trick or treat, hawk style! She looks pretty proud of herself.

    ReplyDelete