Thursday, November 10, 2016

Nov 10th Number 17.

There is another field that borders the ones that I hunt in Arock that I have not been able to hunt before today. The owner sold it to a ranch that borders it, and they have had their cattle on it since the end of Summer. There are several Alfalfa fields on it and the rabbit populations have always been good or even better than most places. I called the new owner and he gave permission after the cows were off it. The last time I went to Arock and we got the hiding Jack, I noticed that there were no cows in the Sage area, and I decided to visit it the next time I hunted in Arock.

Its fairly low Sage with lots of Lava flows mixed in and around. It has always sheltered a larger than normal amount of Bunnies simply for that reason. When I arrived there today all the cows had been mover to other pastures, and it was all mine. As I parked the car, I could see that the cows had to be moved because there was pretty much no grass or weeds in between the Sage. The Alfalfa fields had been supplying the majority of the feed for the cows. A bunny flushed before I could even open the back of the car.

We began our hunt and she flew two of the Bunnies before we had gone more than 50 yards of the fence. Of course the Lava means that shelter is never far away. She had three flights on Bunnies before we saw even one Jack. She missed all four of them. I wanted to get a feel of what the area had to offer, so I was working my way back to the Alfalfa fields, when another Bunny jumped and she pounded him. One little squeak and that was it.

Oh well, they all count one in her mind. She weighed 935 grams this morning, and she caught her dinner. That is what counts. Next year will be soon enough to make multiple kills.


I suppose one needs to practice selfies for a bit so that you don't look like a dork when you take one. As you can tell this is my first one and I have not mastered the technique.

1 comment:

  1. I never miss even one of your adventures. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete