Thursday, December 1, 2016

Swing and a miss

December here seems to be to coldest month for us. I personally find that strange since every where I have been previously, that month is Jan. Last Dec. was bitterly cold and below zero most of the nights, or at least it seemed that way. We have been below 20 degrees most mornings of the last week, and I think we are supposed to get colder than that for the next week or two.

We had a bit of snow yesterday. Just enough to see it in the seams, but Jordan Valley was reported to have 2-4 inches. There is an upside to all the rains going around us, since the snow does as well.

The really striking sunrises and sunsets tone down a bit in December as well. These were from the last day of November.


This is the Sunrise 11/30/16





I had intended to make this into a panorama shot
but gave up when I couldn't find the correct program.
This is looking East. We normally don't get all that much
color to the East at Sunset.



The sunset took a bit to develop. This is looking West.


The Deer coming back after feeding all day on the runway.

I picked up Hope this morning and found that she weighed 1003 grams. I guess I will get my wish concerning her top end. The last Jack she caught, she weighed 974 grams. Its colder than a well diggers butt, and she still can't digest all the food that I give her. Apparently I am turning into a soft touch in my old age. Some one should invent a Harris Hawk with a fast metabolism.

I was due to visit the fields at Arock today. They have a lot more cover than where we hunted at the ranch. Hope does better with shorter cover. There just aren't as many hiding places there. Arock however is just the opposite, and it always takes us longer to find one that screws up there.

While she did not pursue as energetically today as she did at 974, she still managed to catch a Jack for a little while. It however managed to get away from her before I could get there.



We put in four hours today and came home with an empty bag. Oh well, that means that I get to hunt again tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment