Wednesday, March 1, 2017

shopping

Things have been a bit slow due to the weather. We are beginning to get some neat Sunrises again and I am including some of the better shots. The shots are of the sunrise as it develope's.








                                       We had a bit of moisture that morning so the rainbow was a bonus.


We also made the last Raptor count of the year and noticed that the Sandhill Cranes are in.





We are still having some storms and snow, but it is melting off again. A bit further South at a friends ranch off the Whitehorse road the snow storm dropped 10.5 inches of snow on them. With all the snow the Rabbits are swarming as well as the Deer herds. I supplied him with a Pigeon trap and he wanted one for Starlings as well. Today we both had the time to fix up a trap, and I decided to take some of his Rabbits off his hands.


On the way down there I saw two bunches of feral Horses, and a small group of Antelope. I was told that the last time he went out to the Hwy he saw about 500 Antelope along the Whitehorse road. The snow has really been hard on the Antelope this year.


As I drove into his place I looked at his stack yard and the rabbits were thick, so I pulled in and stopped, rolled my windows down and started picking them off. I only took head shots, so that I can cut that part off and discard it therefore removing the danger of lead poisoning for the Hawks. I shot 20 before the yard was empty of live rabbits. Only three escaped alive.

Richard came out and I scattered the Jacks out in the snow to cool and get finished leaking. We went to the pigeon trap and got five out of it. Richard gave me the other 13 that he had frozen. We built two Starling traps and got them set and ready, then retired for coffee and some "Bull shipping."

When I left to go home, I killed another five rabbits that had come in to the stack yard. Not a bad day at all. Richard has a real problem with the Jacks. They undermine the hay bales up about 12 inches. Left long enough the 500 lb. bales will tumble making a mess.







As I was coming home, the sun was setting behind the Steen's. Not a bad day. I ended up with 25 Jacks and 18 Pigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment