Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Anthropomorphism and Jessie

I have spent my entire life around animals, and as such, very aware of their motivations as well as their limitations. While it is easy to see humans acting like animals, it is rare to attribute such things as perversity, just for the sake of perversity in animals. Which brings me to the subject of Jessie.

Now to get the record straight, I became disillusioned with Disney after Bambi. Yeah, I could see Ole Yellar as an honest and loyal companion that could actually be like that. Even at 8 or 9, I knew dogs like that, and that Venison was good to eat.

The point is that each species has certain traits wired into their DNA that drives what they do and how they will react or act as the case may be. You rarely see any trait built into a falcon that could be related to anything other than a cereal killer. That's a good thing.

I have had falcons that were good enough to be boring, and being the greedy man child that I am, grew tired of them. Not Jessie! Now lest you forget, our relationship is a "love - hate" thingy. She is beautiful, very deadly, willing to tackle anything, and hates to quit while there is game in the field or pond. She is a thinker that honed her tactics to meet the need and almost always came out on top, but my goodness she is as perverse and devious as any over endowed dance hall cutie that knows what she has and will make you pay any price emotionally just to taste of it, then laugh at your weakness. At least I have heard that they are like that, not that I would know personally you understand.

Yesterday she played "keep away" with me until I quit and walked off. Today I put the drone up and she stayed in the field by the house for a change when she came down with the lure. I coiled the line as I walked to where she was. I apparently got a bit too close, so she drug it a couple feet further away. I just stood there while she ate, and considered her, and her actions. If I pursue, she runs, if I retreat, she follows. So when she finished what was on the lure, I ignored her. Normally I am entreating her to get on the fist, and she grudgingly does. However today I ignored her. She ran over, grabbed me by the left foot, then grabbed the right foot and climbed up my leg until I put the fist out. I should have named her Jezebel!












No comments:

Post a Comment