Sunday, November 19, 2017

Nov 19 Jack Number 15




Today is clear and cold. It was 18 degrees this morning. I, of course waited until it warmed to 30 before going outside. There is a bit of haze, but nothing is ever perfect. It will do!

I had gone to Arock yesterday with the Dogs, and Hope, and she did not connect with any of the Jacks that we put up for her. She weighed in at 1043 grams. She still tried however. This was the third day since I had overfed her.

I called a rancher that I know that owns the Pillars of Rome, asking if we could hunt there. I have been hammering the spot at Arock a lot harder than I like, so it was time for a change. The area around the Pillars does not harbor a large number of Jacks, I was just hoping that we could find enough to make it worth while. I had already determined that Hope was heavy enough that if she didn't catch one within a reasonable number of slips, I would bring her home. This morning she weighed 966 grams. She has put on a lot of muscle, so I don't feel that 950 is too heavy for her. More than that- well maybe.




The cows haven't been on this ground at all and the Cheat grass is almost knee high. As I walked through the area, the dogs and I were not finding anything at all. There were some trails that the rabbits make, so I wasn't counting it out as yet.

The first thing that we found was the remains of a forked horn Mule deer buck. I picked up the head with the thought of taking it home. I walked over to where Karen and the car was and tossed it in the ditch for Karen. Hope thought it might be good to eat since it had a bit of hair on it still.


She eventually gave up that idea, and we continued our walk. The dogs were working well, even Josie was staying out a bit without venturing too far for a change. We had just barely started again when a Jack jumped behind Josie. Hope started immediately for him and he dodged under her first attack. He didn't seem to know which way to run, as his first dodge put him right in front of me. He turned but Hope was already in the air again, and she caught him within 10 feet.


Hope had him with both feet, one in the butt and the other in the stomach. I broke his neck by twisting it. He was still squealing a bit and Josie came up to offer to finish him for me, but I declined.


This is what she looked like on the other side of the bush.



I gave her the rear leg from a Bunny that she had caught, bagged up the rabbit and the dogs and I went to the car.

We got about half way there and here came Hope with the bunny leg in her mouth, landing in the Sage. I went on to the car and she landed on the hood of the car to finish her leg.


I have never had a hawk that would carry food to me before. I think I like it.





 
This turned out to be a good spot. The tall cover worked in our favor for a change. The grass is knee high, so the rabbits get it in their face and eyes as they run, thus they cannot see where every thing and every one is. Perhaps Hope will begin to get a bit higher so she can see a bit better as to where to make her strike. This poor Jack was an old experienced one, but it was obvious that he was confused. Hope however was not! She hit the ground, bounced back in the air and caught him within 10- 15 feet from the first attempt. Every thing that you could ask for.


No comments:

Post a Comment