Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Karen R Cottrell March 6, 1944 - Jan 31, 2018



Karen's heart stopped this morning at 8:30 AM. 

Its been a good run and a good life for the both of us. Our 53rd anniversary was the 9th of January.

At the time we met, I was looking for a girl "Like my Mom". That's not to say that I wanted someone to take care of me, I wanted one that could be a friend, confidant, and a partner in life. Karen fit that description to a tee. She was a willing participant in anything that I could think up. She wasn't squeamish, liked hunting, and most important was that for some reason, she liked me.

When I asked her to marry me, she told me that she had heart problems from birth and most likely was at risk because of it. I gave it some thought and decided that however long it would last, it would be worth it. We have lived here in the desert, in a house that she picked out, in an area that we both loved, and it has been absolutely great. The last words that we spoke were " I love you"!

Karen had her Mytral valve replaced 20 years ago in Klamath Falls. It was replaced with a mechanical valve rather than a Pig valve because the pig valve would not last as long as they felt she would then be able to live. Her heart valves were deformed from birth. They did not replace the Aortic valve because they apparently did not have the tech at that time. All of the problems that were caused by the faulty valve gave her congestive heart failure. It finally got bad enough that she decided to get the other valve replaced. They did so on the 16th of January. She insisted on doing it after our anniversary. 

She will be cremated soon and eventually I will scatter her ashes her on the place that she loved. There will be no formal service.

For those that knew and loved her, I thank you for being in her life. It was much richer because of you. 

8 comments:

  1. Larry PLEASE CALL ME.....I don't have your cell number only had Karens....It goes without saying We are so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, I am so very sorry to hear this news. Although I never had the privilege of meeting Karen, I felt I had a glimpse into her life because of your blogs. It was obvious that she loved her life, and you.

    I don't pretend to understand the grief you are feeling, but I hope you know that there are many people out here who are surrounding you with their love. We hope that this will give you the strength to move forward during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry: We thank you for sharing your lives in your blogs. It has been heartwarming to read of the history of both of you having 53 years together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how sorry I am...
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry I am without words! I loved talking to Karen on Facebook. And my memories of her are amazing, she always made me laugh and feel in a good mood. I'm so very sorry this is happening! We love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry,
    So very sorry to hear about Karen - your love for each other was clearly evident, and the memories you wrote of her are beautiful. Wishing you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to learn of Karen's passing, Larry. Bruce let me know. She was a good soul, always friendly and kind to others and to me. I remember Karen being present during the early falconry legalization efforts and later as an active member of the OFA. She was a falconer when few women were. I'm glad you had so many wonderful years with her at home and in the field. May Karen remain in our memories and now rest in peace. I wish you my best as you look to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about Karen's passing, she was a fine lady. Too bad that we did not spend more time together.
    Jack and Connie Oar

    ReplyDelete