Saturday, August 18, 2018

Leslie Gulch

We took a day off after the Steen's to rest up a bit. Then yesterday we drove to Leslie Gulch. Leslie Gulch was discovered by Hiram Leslie in the 1800's. He had ridden there from Silver City, Idaho to prospect for minerals. I have no idea how long his journey was, but it was about  60 to 100 miles. He paused on the lip of the ridge to rest his horse when a lightening bolt killed him on the spot, thus becoming the inspiration for the first "flying fickle finger of fate" award. It is an area of awe inspiring rock formations both colorful and beautiful.

I should mention that my nephew, Jerry, has been a friend since our childhood. We are only 4 years apart, but when we were kids that age difference pretty much left him at my mercy. In my defense however, he seemed to enjoy being my "crash test dummy", and since he has no real scars other than his trust issues, I couldn't have been too mean to him.




 This one to me looks like the Dragon in "How to train your dragon"










The surprising part to me was that we didn't see another car on the road and only found one camp down at the river.

After coming back out and of course stopping for an ice cream cone at Jordan Valley, I stopped at Jean Babtiste Charbonneau's grave site in Danner.


Then we stopped at the Lava tube known as Rattlesnake Cave. I however if anyone ever saw a Rattler there, but I understand the inclination to call it that. This picture is from an earlier visit.

This morning they packed up and headed North to see other sights. I truly enjoyed their visit very much, and would have liked them to stay for a while, but I understand the need to keep moving.


3 comments:

  1. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and really hated to leave. Growing up Larry was always my hero, and to be totally honest he still is .

    ReplyDelete