Monday, November 5, 2018

Back to "normal"

I finally caught one of the Chicken killers last night. Of course it was the half grown Raccoon rather than the adult, but she will come back sooner or later. Its a matter of time.

Winds were predicted  yesterday due to a low front moving through the area, so Connie and I got out a lot earlier than normal hoping to catch a Jack before it had a chance to develop its full force. Harris Hawks have a low wing loading and as such do not do well in wind. Hope had actually lost an ounce of weight all the way down to 974 grams.

It was already pretty windy here at the house and beginning to sprinkle a bit, so we headed out to Arock. Its a bit lower and protected by the surrounding hills, so I felt that we would have a chance to hunt in semi calm conditions for a while.

Hope was really hungry and was very impatient, flying forward to be closer to the dogs. She was also taking flights so far off, that I had difficulty seeing what she was doing and at the same time hoping that she wouldn't catch anything that far away, knowing that I would need resuscitation when I got to her, if I actually did get there.

No worries on that score, as I have said Jacks can make and carry out a good escape plan if they have even half a chance. We had covered about a mile or a bit more with close calls, and the wind was beginning to pick up to the point that I had to turn her into the wind with the perch so that she could at least stay on the perch. The Jacks were sticking pretty tight for the dogs, but would flush when we paused, thinking that they had been seen. Most of the time they were still able to evade Hope. Lucky for us this one did not.

This Jack had about a 50 yard head start on her. She made a shot at him, but he turned and she hit the ground. She got up again and gave chase, climbing to see him, then doing a wing over into the ground and the Jack. I heard a muffled grunt, but nothing else. I noticed that Josie had run to the spot that she disappeared, and then came back out. When I got about half way there, Josie joined me, to my surprise. I have been a bit worried about Josie's desire to grab the Jack. She is a Rat killer of commendable skills and accomplishment. I have been worried that she might just mistake Hope's toes for the Jack, but I am beginning to believe that I worried for nothing. I noticed when Hope was eating her tidbits, Josie walked a bit close to her, and Hope flapped her wing at Josie, who turned away at that signal. Apparently they have reached some sort of an understanding.

You can see that Hope has it by the face, and it is stretched out, pushing with its hind legs trying to get away. My first urge is to grab it, and get the legs off of Hope. I had to force myself to stop long enough to take a fuzzy picture.


Trying to break its neck. Thankfully Hope seems to know what I am doing and doesn't object or grab me while this is going on.



She has her cup of tidbits, and is waiting for her leg of reward.

We were a long way from the car and the wind was beginning to whip. I decided to see if I could get her to follow on her own, since the wind makes it tough to carry an eating hawk on the fist. I picked up all my stuff and walked off leaving her eating on a front leg.


We had walked about 50 yards, when she began following along.




I have to commend her, its tough to fly with a rabbits foot blocking your vision.


At this point I decided to carry her, so gave her another front leg.

Since I am building a stock pile for the off season, I began preparing the Jack for the freezer, when I notice a bump on the side of the Jacks leg.





This is the final stage of the Dog Tape Worm of which Jacks are an unwilling carrier. They eat the tape worm after it has been passed from the Coyote, it bores out of the stomach and forms a pocket in the muscle. It is harmless to a Raptor, but I cut and clean all the eggs out.

I am quite sure that it affected his ability to evade Hope, but that's OK, and I am sure part of the plan. I can't imagine having that kind of growth on your leg, and in your joints.


No comments:

Post a Comment