Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Whoda thunk it?

I made a trip to Boise this morning and had just crossed the state line into Idaho when I saw a white Rabbit lying in the road? I of course whipped a U turn and went back to make sure that my eyes were not deceiving me. It wasn't busted up, so I grabbed it up and tossed it in the back of the car. At first I thought it was a Snow Shoe Rabbit, but it looked too much like a Jack Rabbit. I called a friend to verify what I was seeing and he confirmed that White Tailed Rabbits do inhabit the area. It is all burned over grassland with little to no cover. The White Tails do turn white in the winter. It is the first one that I have ever seen. I guess this one got despondent over the lack of snow cover and committed suicide on the Hwy. I can imagine his life was a pure hell with all the raptors and Coyotes chasing him because he had no chance of hiding looking like a "Eat me beacon" shining in the sun.



 He did not die in vain however, Hope will appreciate the change in diet.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, good find.... We all knew it did not go to waste.... Like any good falconer, free food!

    ReplyDelete