Thursday, November 12, 2020

Nov 12th- a "quickie"

 It was 9 degrees this morning. Winter seems to be in a bit of a hurry this year, but as they say "The only thing that stays the same, is that every thing changes"! Perhaps December will not be as cold for a change.

I had to go out to the Hangar last night about 10 PM to get something, and I noticed that I had at least four Jacks mowing my lawn for me. I always skip the last time that it needs mowing just so the Jacks have a last feeding on it. By spring the rabbit pellets will be almost as tall as the grass. As well as almost as plentiful as the blades of grass that's left. Its nice to know that I have some in reserve to hunt if worse comes to worse.

I waited till about 11.AM before I got things ready to go Hawking. I don't know how Hope feels about it, but my hands get pretty cold holding the tee perch, so I gave it a chance to warm up a bit. I loaded her up in the Hawk box and with the dogs running in front, drove to the end of the runway to begin my hunt.

Hope weighed 992 this morning, and seemed pretty anxious to hunt. We were just getting started, when she flew off the tee perch, gaining a bit of altitude, and slamming into the ground about 60 yards in front of me. A Jacks death song followed the strike, followed by silence. When I got there, I found that she had him by the head, and he wasn't struggling at all. There was quite a bit of blood on the ground from his head wound. I broke his neck anyway, just to make sure  that he wasn't suffering any more than necessary.





 Now what am I going to do for the rest of the day? 1400 steps for the entire morning. :-/

1 comment: