Saturday, November 7, 2020

Nov 7th

 Winter still hasn't fully closed its fist on us yet, but you can see it coming. Yesterday afternoon it was a bit breezy ( wind in mid 20's ) but still not too cold. There was a small sprinkling of rain last night, and as the day progresses its getting darker and darker. I just got the last of my winter wood, and I have made a small start on splitting it. I hope to get a bunch more done today.


It doesn't look as daunting with two and half rows split.

I went out to get Hope this morning to go hunting before the work started. She was very anxious and hanging on the door urging me to get a move on. I was therefore surprised to find that she weighed in at 1024 grams. I weighed her twice, and decided that she must be converting some of that fat to muscle, or she has been having visitors (mice) in her pen. I thought about it and since the only other thing that I had to do was split wood, I decided to go hunting. 

Since I am hunting here I have transferred every thing to my quad, to minimize the damage to the runway. She is in a box after all and other than a bit of noise, every thing is the same. Josie hopped up onto my lap and we trundled off to the end of the runway to start. Saves me about a mile and third walk, so its worth doing. and that way I don't burn all of my hunting area by hunting the same 3/4 of a mile every time. The key is to switch it up and not hunt the same patch time after time.

I wasn't really sure what she was going to hunt like, but I needn't have worried, she was even hotter than the last time we went out. She put up the same rabbit five different times, covering three hundred yards, and he still got away. After walking over the hill and down the other side, chasing three different Jacks in the process, we finally got a close slip of about 40 yards. She burned it down in no time. 




Well fun's over, time to go to work.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, nice, nice!!! Like your setup with the quad, you can really utilize your big sage brush sea....

    ReplyDelete