Saturday, January 16, 2021

Last day of Hope's Forth season

 In a lot of ways I am sad to be quitting for the season. This year has been one of the most enjoyable and satisfying of all the years that I have hunted Jack Rabbits. Of course I miss my old hunting partner, Karen, but it has still been an outstanding season.


For one thing, I was running out of string. The string on the left was last years catch, the one on the right is compressed quite a lot, and there is a Quail head hidden in there somewhere. I did the math today and found that there was a possibility of 140 days to hunt this year. I only fly every other day, and I wasn't always able to do that. I only doubled one time, but I can't remember not catching anything at all, other than today. We put in 5 miles today, saw 4 rabbits, and she pulled hair on one of those.

Of course I did hunt a bit longer than normal this year, most likely due to not having any below zero weather for one of the few years since I came here. Normally December is a real bitch for cold weather.

Here is a view from all sides



There are a couple reasons for stopping. One of them is that I walked 5 miles and saw four Rabbits, the other is that breeding season is on the way very soon.


swollen reproductive tract of female Jack Rabbit.

My friend Pat, in Burns has also stopped, due to the swelling of the rabbits reproductive system, as well as the annual gathering of the Eagles in Burns. While I don't have Eagles to contend with, I do have what I consider a shortage of Rabbits. Hopefully the ones left will be fruitful and multiply this year.

One of the main reasons that I didn't want to stop is that there is no way in hell that I am going to take a 5 mile hike every other day without a hawk on the fist as an incentive. I guess I will just have to find a way to quit eating and go to an every other day regime such as what I used on Hope.

So until the weather clears and warms enough to fly and fish, I will most likely be a little quieter than you might be used to. Thanks to each of you for reading my wanderings.





4 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your wanderings, and adventures. Those wanderings help all of us escape our everyday lives for a short time. Don't stay away for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a sad day, but happy day for the jacks as they will be having a gay old time making new. Makes it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always sucks to end the hawking season.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been laying low as well Larry, had a few health issues that left me lame and annoyed at age...so guess I've been pouting. Anyway, I sure enjoy your blog....keep me on the list. I'm hoping for better days for your dog.

    ReplyDelete