Saturday, November 6, 2021

A few new pictures and a clarification

 The blog that I put out last night made fun out of something that could actually play a big part in the way that Bud hunts for the rest of his life. Almost nothing is more important or critical than "entering" a hawk to hunting. There are many factors involved in the training of a raptor. All training sessions are or can be very critical to the way and intensity of how he hunts. Bad habits are easy to develop and the intensity of the raptor can be soured in one incident that does not go the way that it should.

This is likely the last falcon that I will be able to train, so every thing that he learns in the next few weeks can make all the difference in the world. It actually takes at least a couple of years to have the finished product, which is a reliable game hawk. 

Almost every thing is against a happy ending. Game, both upland and waterfowl are scarce. Waterfowl is affected because of the drought, and all the ponds in the back country are dry . Its been a mild autumn, so the Ducks have not left the North Country yet. I actually have it better, for instance, than those in the Boise Idaho area. They can't find hawkable ducks any where where they live.

I am driving about 260 miles just to pay $14.00 for a Duck to use to enter Bud. I paid $50 last night for 12 gallons of gasoline. I just can't afford to do a lot of driving in my hunts. Don't get me wrong there is noting wrong with the Ducks that I am buying, I am ecstatic that I can even find Ducks that might fly for him. I have used 6 lb. barnyard Ducks before that could only waddle at best and been damn happy for the opportunity. 

It is normal for so many moving parts, that things go wrong with monotonous regularity. However when the wound is self inflicted or the desperation so intense that it becomes folly, one can only laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation. 

I have always had a deprecating sense of humor and have no problem with making fun of my foibles. I am confident enough in my own abilities that I can see the humor in situations where I should have done better or ones that I just plain screwed up. The part that was so amusing in this one was I was so desperate to complete the change from drone to game, and every move by me was countered by "Murphy's Law", and I just couldn't get a break.  

I was so pleased with Bud's reaction to the one Duck that did fly last night, that all my concerns evaporated. He was confident and acted with determination. He flew up to about 300 feet, stayed with us and began his dive as soon as the Duck opened his wings. He hit the Duck but lost his grip. The Duck leveled out to out fly him, but Bud flew him down and took him to the ground. He held the Duck until we found him ( with the telemetry). He chupped when he saw us come over the hill. His manners with the Duck was impeccable. He still threw a shit fit when I had to hood him after his meal, but that is to be expected. Its one example of a screw up that will be with him for the rest of his life.

Bud is from great stock, and the guy that bred him has done a terrific job. I just don't want to screw up his work, and it appears that there is a possibility that will not happen. The last falcon that I trained was in 2005, and I have always felt that I had made a couple of blunders with her, and that I could do better. Having reliable drones was one of the things that would make it easier. I don't just want to train a good falcon, I want one that will make every one who sees him envious. I feel that I have that with my Harris, Hope, and I want Bud to be the same. So far that is still a possibility. I know for a fact that he scares the crap out of any game bird under him.

The weather is progressing and we are getting some neat sunsets and sunrises. Here is just one.



  

 

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you are saying I'm regards to having a bird others enjoy or as you say are envious of. I feel that way completely with Chili. Good luck on your falcon.

    ReplyDelete