Saturday, May 28, 2016

Oops! correction

Unfortunately it appears that I  will have to face the facts and admit that my bird has come out of the closet. "SHE" has decided that she is a boy. I know, its tough to admit that I apparently have a transgender offspring. I will love him any way,   in spite of her confusion, it appears that this is a common occurrence these days. My only real problem will be the fact that I will have to change her name. Leeza will no longer do. I have considered changing it to LGBT, but I am not sure if I could pronounce it much less shout it in a moment of excitement on the side of a Duck pond. I guess I will have to be content with Leezard, Lee for short.

You may wonder at my Lizard compulsion, but his parents raised the last clutch of babies by feeding them Long Nosed Leopard Lizards among others. Besides I am running out of names.


Today is the 27th day of his life, and he has made some improvements. His ability to get around is improving daily of course. He was eating out of a dish by his third day, and prefers to make small additions to his crop, several times a day. So far he is consuming a bit less than one  Quail a day. That will change pretty soon.


It was time for him to spend a day outside. It was about 72 degrees and just right for him. He actually spent almost all of his day eating, sleeping and growing feathers.


Brick the Britt. still thinks that he is fascinating, and spends a lot of time just looking at him.


A F&W guy came down yesterday to verify that I indeed had managed to obtain a bird. He of course was not able to positively ID the bird in question as a Prairie Falcon, but he was doing his job and was willing to take my word for it. I took him around the place, showed him my mews and of course Jessie. She is my watch dog, and showed great desire to attack the poor guy. Most of the view of her that he got resembles what you see in the picture below. I thought that her behavior was a bit extreme, and I couldn't figure out why. When I put her up for the night the little shit ran around the perch and tried to foot me, drawing blood in the process. This morning I could understand why. I gave her the chance to become a Mommy, but she apparently loves only me. Sigh! Every year she has to lay a couple of eggs, and unfortunately all it does is delay her molt making her pretty ragged when I start her hunting.



If you see a Peregrine take this stance, she either loves you, or is going to kick your butt. It was the latter in this case.

This afternoon while Karen and I were in the house, I heard Jessie "Chupping". She does that when she sees another falcon. I "ran" out side, and to my surprise a tiercel adult Peregrine was making low level passes over the weathering area. He was quite light, so he should be an older bird. He made several passes and I even went in and got a lure, just in case, but he pretended ignorance and eventually circled up and departed East.

No comments:

Post a Comment