Monday, August 29, 2016

Hope's 6th day

As long as she makes forward progress, I will document it. Training hawks and falcons is different because each bird is different. However there is one thing that stays constant with their training and that is that the falconer can fall way behind if you follow a formula. Since every thing is different, the training must be suited to the individual bird.

Hope is different from every other bird that I have trained, just as Lee was different. These two birds although different species had one thing in common. They are not phased or impressed by the small stuff, much more than any birds that I have known. To me that trait alone will ensure that both of these birds will be exceptional. Of course with Lee, we will never know.

Hope came out of the mews weighing 874 grams. That is 30.5 oz. She was made to skip at least one perhaps two meals before she was picked up. That merely meant that her stomach was empty. Prior to that she was fed full meals every day.

 Normally when I catch a wild bird, I will weigh them when their crop and stomach is empty. This will give me a base line of the weight that a bird would like to naturally be at. Most birds would then be reduced about 10 percent as a starting weight. Hope tonight weighed 880 grams, and walked to the fist for food.

With most birds they would be skittish and spooky, not wanting to sit the fist much at all. Hope is not. OK lets get on with establishing that I have the food, and all she has to do to get it is to come to me.





Getting her used to the touch.


Walking to the fist



It's mine!


Knives!


I don't see any dog?



Wonder what they taste like?

No comments:

Post a Comment