Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Oh Deer!


Well, Its that time of the year again. Every thing is trying to fatten up for the coming winter, and for Deer the "rut" (breeding season) is close at hand. This is the only time of the year when the Deer show up here at the house. Contrary to popular belief, Deer are for the most part a pretty scarce commodity here in the desert. Yes there is generally a Doe or two that lives down by the Creek in the giant Sage brush jungle there. They come to have a protected area to raise their babies, and are generally very spooky and secretive. The only time I see Bucks is in the fall. The ranch below me used to sell tags to hunt the Trophy Deer that hang around the reservoir that pools on his ranch. I think that they have quit doing that, but when I first came here there was a guy that would fly in by Helicopter to shoot one of the big Bucks that lived there. He didn't want the meat, only the head and antlers.


This guy doesn't fit the "trophy" name for "bragging rights" but he is still about three years old and a decent buck that most hunters, who are hungry, would not turn down. I would personally just like him to go away.

He first showed up on the 14th about 5 in the afternoon. I shooed him off, and he went down to the creek to wait for darkness. I originally thought he was after apples, but its not apples that he wants. He wants the leaves and buds off the ends of the tree limbs. On a regular apple tree it wouldn't be a problem. My trees are dwarf Trees and one of the guy's can reach about halfway up the tree.

Yesterday he showed up in the afternoon, and I ran him off. 30 minutes later he was back again, and every 30 minutes after that. I peppered him with the shotgun, I shot him in the ass twice with a pellet gun, but I still had to run him off when I went to bed last night.



This is the result of his feeding after I went to sleep. Before you ask, I don't need any more venison in my freezer. I still have most of the venison left from the last Deer that I harvested during season. 

I am going to check the zero on my pellet gun today. His cohones are going to be in jeopardy when he next comes. I understand that Deer steers tend to grow some pretty spectacular antlers.

1 comment:

  1. :) Shoot him in the prairie oysters? Sweet Pea is ready to come back and run him off!
    Mike H.

    ReplyDelete