Friday, October 23, 2020

Trip to Klamath Falls


They have changed the format of this blog site and things are much more difficult to arrange than before, so its not as neat as it used to be. In fact I am finding it to be a pain in the butt. I will attempt to work with it at least for a while.

Connie and I had wanted to take a trip with the fifth wheel to the coast this year, but with the fires all over we decided that it just wasn't to be. Instead we decided to go to Klamath Falls. She wanted to see the Lava Beds again and I wanted to see some friends. 

I loaded everything that I could think of in the fifth wheel and trundled up to Burns to pick her up. Our first day was only to Christmas Valley and out to the lost Forest on the East edge of the Sand Dunes. The road had been improved enough that I felt comfortable in taking the Fifth Wheel in there. I was thinking that in October there wouldn't be any one camping there. For the most part I was right, at least for one night anyway.

The camp area is in a grove of Ponderosa Pines at the edge of the Sand Dunes. I do not know the story concerning these trees, but they are way the heck out in the desert miles and miles away from any other Ponderosa's. Thus the "Lost Forest". Every thing was fine until I began to level the fifth wheel and the battery went stone dead. In the middle of the night, the furnace stopped burning because there wasn't enough power to spark a fire in the furnace. So I got up at 2 AM and fired up the generator so that we could have a little heat. The next morning rigs began coming in for the weekend and that was all the incentive  I needed to load up and head to Klamath Falls.

Our next stop was at an old friends place in Bear Valley, just up from the Calif border. We based out of there for three days, while we visited every thing South of Klamath. Mostly it was driving around getting a look at all the area South of Klamath and visiting some friends from my Rail road days. We visited the Petroglyphs in Northern Calif and located the site of the relocation camps that were used to restrain the Japanese population during World War 2.

Our last day there we went down to the Lava Beds in Northern Calif. They too had been through a Fire and lots of things that we wanted to see were closed down.




                     You can see where the fire was stopped on the North end of the Lava Beds.

                                            This is looking East across the Lava Flow 



                                                                   Looking South
There were very few tourist this late in the year, but possibly it was due to the fact that almost every thing was shut down.

1 comment: