Sunday, October 2, 2022

Rock House ramblins

 Fall has apparently arrived, mornings are quite nipply, but the flies are still with us. They are bad enough that I am praying for a frost, just to get rid of the flies. There is lots to do to prepare for winter. The fifth wheel has only to get the water lines blown out, I am about to blow out the sprinklers. I have one trailer load of wood split. ( 2 1/2 cords). Another load will be ready soon. My wood splitter has blown out its last spark plug, so I have ordered another engine. The poor thing has served me for about 30 years. I picked the engine (a Fairbanks Morse ) out of the Railroad garbage dump. It seems that one can no longer get a "heli coil" that will fit the huge spark plug that it uses. I managed to spend most of the afternoon trying to find one for a 18 MM spark plug. All are now 14 MM. 

I am trying to get Bud back on the wing again. It has been fun, :-/ I of course need to reduce his weight, and the more that I do the more restless he gets. He was getting tangled almost daily, then of course he blames it on me. Its possible that I will need more bandaids soon. I had turned him loose in the weathering area earlier when he was fat, and decided that him hanging on the wire wasn't good, now I have turned him loose again, just to keep him from tangling up all the time. I had been using a total of four swivels on his jesses, and he still managed to tie himself in knots. If he ends the season looking like a feather duster- too bad.




Actually having him loose is a bit easier for me. He still hates the thought of a hood, so weighing him is a real pain in the butt. Now I don't have to weigh him. If he isn't hungry enough to come to the fist, he isn't ready to fly anyway. 

I spent most of the afternoon trying to find out why my drone wasn't working. I finally plugged it into my computer and found that the battery wasn't making a full contact. ( two hours lost) The battery fits so tight that I have to use a knife to wiggle the battery out of its slot. I put it on the sander last night to free it up a bit. :-/  Obviously I succeded! 

Bud wouldn't come to me earlier, but the sight of me trying to get the drone working drove him to distraction. He is somewhat difficult, but he knows that the drone has food. When I finally got it corrected, he came to me. I had set the upper limit to restrict the drone to 125 feet. When I turned him loose he didn't seem to be able to get up that high. Apparently he is really out of shape, so he screwed around at low level until it started to come down due to the battery getting low, then snatched the lure off at about 15 feet. Looks like we are off to a "roaring start".  I am not sure if I am even going to try to fly Hope. I haven't seen a Rabbit for some time now.

Brenda and I are still trying to get our stuff blended, between all the other stuff going on and trips to town its been a bit slow. We went to Burns friday to take my wood trailer to the guy who cuts wood for me, and to take Brenda's dog Charly to the vet. She has some trouble with one of her eyes. I also needed to renew my drivers license. I thought sure that they would want to see me drive since I am turning 78 years on my birthday. Then we had to drive to Eagle Idaho to get a prescription yesterday. Ah the joys of living in a remote area during a Biden administration. Its still worth it! 

We are beginning to get some nice sunsets again.









 

1 comment:

  1. Well ya mentioned Bud what a about the dependable bird Hope your Harris..... I'm sure if ya put some effort to it ya just might find a jack or two and if ya looked in the rock cliffs around there you might stumble across some crazy zip zip bunnies.... I even bet ya a dollar or two if you want to spend your time with the long wing and not any time with Hope I know of a General of mine that I know would put her on the wing and get her back in shape on Jack's out this way....How are you and the new Little Lady getting along??? Glad that what I read on one of your posts that she seems to be a pretty good fit to your life style and seclusion....Glad you two found each other...Just be nice to her and don't scare her off ya crazy Old Fart.... Weather here is dropping in temperature some but what I notice more so that fall is upon us is it's getting dark now starting at 7:15....Anyway some days are better then others for me and Thank God I've got such a wonderful beautiful woman to keep me moving around some. I'd be totally lost without her.... I'd be one of those Old Bastards that would be aimlessly stumbling around downtown lost and wondering where I was....Anyway I still read your post so I can keep up with ya....All my Best Buddy and keep in touch...

    ReplyDelete